Intentional Delay before firing laser

Hiya again. I’m not sure if this should be here or in “Hardware - Ruida Controllers”. Coming from a woodworking background I always like to make sure that my dust collection is up to speed prior to operating any tool that requires it. When I start a job (either from LB or via the control panel on the laser) it takes about 5 seconds for my exhaust fan to come up to speed.

Is there any way to intentionally enable a delay of say 5 seconds prior to the laser actually firing enabling the exhaust to come up to speed?

I’ve read through these posts;

And these seem to suggesting ways to turn them off but I’m relatively new to this so I’m taking things slowly and trying to adapt to what I’m used to.

As always, thanks in advance for any help that anyone provides.

You can set a delay when using the Line mode.

Thanks Rick. Do I need to enable “Cut Through” when I set that pause time?

Use scrap and play, that is a good way to learn. Hover your mouse over all most everything in LightBurn to see a ‘Tool Tip’, then select F1 for additional help documentation.

‘Cut Through’ fires the laser during this programmed Time Delay to assist in “punching- through” thicker material.

Thanks again Rick

1 Like

Hi JMichael,

Autonomy yes, unattended no. As I stated in the OP, whenever I’m woodworking I ALWAYS have my dust collection system fully up to speed prior to cutting/sanding anything. It’s just what I’m used to. Being relatively new to laser operating (other than lots of reading/researching/watching YT vids) I kind of wanted this exhaust fan to do the same. As it stands now, it takes about 6-7 seconds to come up to full speed. I was just looking for a way to make it operate in a way that I was familiar with.

I did find a workaround. I find/make a small separate item that needs to be cut out. I put that on its own layer, made it the first cut and set a delay (6000ms) on that layer only. So, when I fire the laser, the head moves into position, waits the six seconds, and then completes the entire job. This just gives my exhaust fan time to spin up to speed.

That’s it. Nothing terribly fancy, just making the machine operate in a way that I’m a bit more familiar with. Once I get used to everything and stop considering myself a NOOB, I might forgo this small process but we’ll see. Time will tell. Thanks for the question.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.