Just How Fast Can You Run Your Atomstack?

After sorting out the “operator error” problems with using LB and an Atomstack A5 M50 40W machine (which I find to be an amazing work of engineering/technology), I dipped into the LB [Laser Tools][Material Test] menu…

I had milled out some alder boards to 1/8" thickness for a different project, and decided to see what LB could do with this material (alder makes beautiful plaques, by the way). After running a few trials, I find that I can create very discernable shading gradations beginning at less than 10% power at 4000 mm/min speeds, but it maxes out (for darkness) by the time it gets to about 60% power.

To get better (lower, actually) contrast, I think I will need to increase the speed of the laser head, or limit the maximum laser intensity, or both. So…

Limiting laser maximum intensity is pretty easy, but it may limit subtle gradations in shade when doing images. Increasing the speed will allow lower contrast, I think, but I’m getting close to the maximum settings that were the defaults with this machine.

I want to try both ways, but first would like to first have an idea of just how fast this machine can run before you start skipping steps.

So, just how fast have you pushed your Atomstacks, and how much acceleration can it handle?

Caveat: I don’t own an AtomStack, but have built & tuned several CNC machines.

Based on what I’ve read around here, open-frame diode lasers arrive with speed and acceleration parameters pushed to the absolute maximum values that might have once worked on a pristine machine carefully assembled by folks heavily invested in meeting whatever bullet items appear in the marketing materials.

The values programmed into the controller you just bought do not necessarily produce precise results, as the mechanical structure flexes and jitters under the forces slinging that heavy laser head around.

So the simple answer is: you’re gonna have to stabilize the hardware, tweak the values, measure the performance, and make your own quality tradeoffs based on whatever matter to you, as seen on your workbench.

For example:

But you can have plenty of fun while gaining plenty of knowledge in the chase!

Welcome aboard …