Kerf offset / "real" cutout sizes

Howdy!
When I cut a 50mm circle, it is 49.75mm, DUH… No biggie but is there a way I can add the % or line width kerf offset into the grid so when I draw a 50mm object and assign the layer as a LINE, the INSIDE is 50mm instead of the overall?

I’ve read this several times and I can’t quite parse what you mean.

What do you mean by this?

inside of what? And overall of what?

…then something is not set up correctly. It is the stated measurement that must come out of the machine - without - you having to compensate for it. Could it be that you have mistakenly set a value in your kerfsetting for this layer?

As I understood, you want to incorporate the kerf offset into the LightBurn workspace, such that you don’t have to add the kerf offset manually.

First of all, I don’t think that makes sense and it should be even impossible. Here’s why:

• The kerf offset it not only depended on the laser module, but also on the material. You will have different values for different material here.
  • You might change the laser module / laser type at some time and all your drawings need to be adjusted
  • You might want to share a file and other users have different kerf offsets

Finally, I even think it is impossible, because this is not static. You could integrate an automatic offset into the workspace, snapping the lines to a different grid. If you have inner and outer shapes, you sometimes want to have the offset inside or outside. No grid can handle this.

Hmm, let me simplify. Sorry to be confusing.
I want to cut a 50mm disk out of wood.
I draw a circle in lightburn @ 50mm in diameter.
I cut the circle out.
The disk is 49.75mm.

is there a way to account for the .125mm kerf?

cuts/layers kerf offset.

The following should assist in understanding Kerf compensation in LightBurn;

Additionally, these may assist as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.