Laser module not working - Problem ortur laser master 2 - homing problem?

Hello everyone,

Hopefully anyone can help me please.
I am running an Ortur Laser Master 2 . 20w version.
After checking wiring many times, i think all the wiring is correct.

the software recognizes the machine. When launching the software, the machine will move correctly and stop after hitting the end trigger. when i hit the “move” buttons in the machine will also move correctly.

The problems comes when i try to get the laser on and engrave or something,.

When i try to hit the “frame button” or just start engraving button, it will say “BUSY” and nothing happens…

Here below what the console says when i open the software :

ALARM:8

Homing fail. Cycle failed to clear limit switch when pulling off. Try increasing pull-off setting or check wiring.

ok

Ortur Laser Master 2 Ready!

OLF 137.

Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

[MSG:Check Limits]

[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]

ok

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

ok

Homing

[AUTHOR: RenShen]

[MODEL: Ortur Laser Master 2]

[OLF: 137]

[DATE:01:15:16 – Apr 20 2020]

[VER:1.1f.20170801:]

[OPT:VZD,35,254]

Target buffer size found

ok

ALARM:8

Homing fail. Cycle failed to clear limit switch when pulling off. Try increasing pull-off setting or check wiring.

ok

Ortur Laser Master 2 Ready!

OLF 137.

Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

[MSG:Check Limits]

[MSG:’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

ok

in attached image you can see what console says when I hit the “start” button or “frame” button… Please can you help i am desperate MANY THANKS !…

If the homing fails, you won’t be able to use absolute coords, which is the easiest ‘Start From’ setting.

Your ‘Start from’ setting is ‘Current Position’, which means the system assumes your laser is in this corner, relative to what you want engraved:

If it just finished trying to home, your laser is at the front-left corner already, which means that the job is going to be out of bounds. (Read here: https://lightburnsoftware.github.io/NewDocs/CoordinatesOrigin.html)

@OrturTech - Not sure how you address homing failures yet, but can you have a look?

Thanks for your kind answer.

I’m not sure i am understanding every thing here… i didn’t think it could be a problem of coordinates.
i will have a look on that link.

should i then switch the start form to absolute coordinates ?

Until you understand the other modes, yes. You will also need to figure out why the machine isn’t homing. Check to make sure you don’t have any wires connected backwards - I think the X axis limit switch is often connected incorrectly, so double check your wiring there.

thanks.

So … i switched to absolute coordinates.
There is still 1 alarm 8 appearing in the console , but i tried my first engraving and it worked.

Regarding wiring, i checked many times and tested, and i think i am ok. even though it was confusing that the end stopper came mounted the other way round comparing to Ortur instructions pdf (that pdf is not very useful, pretty confusing)

anyway, now i have other issues : when i try to cut engrave simple forms, they are very distorted. i guess i have to check my belts right ?? one axis is not smooth at all…

Also, my laser diode does not focus to a point/dot , but to a line, so the cutting is much more effective in one axis than in the other. i tried focusing but this does not improve. is it a hardware problem from the laser diode ? this is really poor focusing…

Thanks again

Those “circles” look pretty bad - make sure that the roller wheels aren’t binding, and that the belts are not too loose OR too tight. Either of those can cause issues like this.

Yes thanks i already thought of checking all the belts and bearing, i guess it is that problem eventhough i thought they were correctly assembled.

What about the laser diode being line instead of a dot ? should i open a new topic with this problem ?
many thanks you are being very kind and helpful.

thank you Rick … I tried to shorten the focal length . it seems to focus better but only when it is super short… i don’t think it is normal… i am talking like about 10-20mm focal length, pretty weird.

i will keep investigating on that. thanks !!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.