Lightburn for Fiber - at last!

I would also like to help with testing.

I have a fiber laser 50W JPT with Sino Galvo and a Co2 laser with Galvo, Ezcad 2

Glad to PN

What kind of wireshark specific settings if any on the USB capture would you need.

hey guys i have a 20W Raycus with ezcad2 controller i would love to help you guys test and offer any settings that may be of help :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s not really anything you can send me that would be helpful at this point. We are quite literally flooded with requests to test what we have, and we still have a ton of work to do to get EzCad2 boards fully supported, and get to feature equivalence (or close) with EzCad2.

The Wireshark capture process is extremely incremental - I touch something, do a capture. Change a small thing, do another capture, compare them, try to work out how the captures represent the numbers that changed, and what those things mean, and so on. I canā€™t just tell you what to capture - I honestly donā€™t know yet.

For everyone offering to test, please understand that what we need right now is time, not testers, and while I understand you mean well, flooding our inbox with requests to test this is taking time away from development.

What we have is early, and functional, but we have a good chunk of work ahead still. As we get closer to an actual release, and need to test more broadly, we will announce an ā€œopen callā€ for testers. Until then, unless you have a relatively unique setup or workflow, weā€™re probably covered.

Also please understand that testing means you have time to use it quite a lot, and are willing to take detailed notes about whatā€™s missing or broken, and submit those notes to help us track down issues. Testing does not mean ā€œuse it normally, just before everyone else.ā€

4 Likes

Just watched Laser Everythingā€™s live stream from a couple days ago, testing it out. Looks great! Going to be sooooooo nice! Thank you so much Lightburn Team for bringing this to us. I literally donā€™t even want to touch the fiber laser until this gets released! From the looks of it, the way it sits right now, itā€™s 100x more useable than EZCad :joy: You guys are just flat out badass!

Wow!

Change setting, capture, review, beat-head-against-wall, update code, test, rinse & repeat.

Add in firmware versions and the ad-hoc nature of software. Iā€™m also assuming software was developed outside of US (or English speaking country) and just WOW, this is a MAJOR project.

As a funny aside, I ā€œfundedā€ a Kickstarter project awhile back for USB capture device. Iā€™m sure we all know how that project ended. Sadly, the only project on Kickstarter that Iā€™ve ā€œfundedā€ and was delivered is EEV Blogā€™s Multimeter (121GW?). Which as a ā€œDIYer/Tinkerā€ seems rock solid and has proven to be great product.

If there is a best-tester list, Iā€™d love to help. Iā€™ve prior experience reverse engineering code and systems. At one point I even made my own MiTM ISO 7816 data logger using a custom circuit board and microcontroller. My day job is in IT. My lasers are tools I use for side-projects. Plenty of experience finding and documenting how to reproduce issues, yadda yadda. (EZ-CAD 2.14.x, JPL 50W)

How much for the Alpha version? Name your price! :smiley:

1 Like

I just took delivery of the M1 (Mr. Carve) fiber laser from Kickstarter. Iā€™ve used Lightburn with my diode and CO2 lasers and wondered whether it will work with the M1??? The M1 comes with SeaCAD which appears to be a derivative of EZCAD. Not great software. More on the M1 here:

SeaCad is made by BSL, which weā€™re planning to support as well. Theyā€™re actually working with us, so we have partial PC / Linux support, but Iā€™ve been pushing harder on the EzCad support since many more people have that hardware.

Posting to keep the thread alive.

I was going to try and hold off ordering a fiber until this comes out so we donā€™t have to learn a new workflow, and have to use Windows (right?), but the urge is getting strong. Adding another Windows and Mac developer and OS/application QA and beta tester to the wait list. :slight_smile:

Not sure how far along he is but Bryce Schroeder has been working on an open source tool for fiber lasers:
https://www.bryce.pw/engraver.html

1 Like

His doesnā€™t have a UI, which would likely be a sticking point. :slight_smile:
Weā€™re still on track for a release in Q2 of this year.

3 Likes

So glad this is coming. I make my living with Lightburn on my CO2 laser. I just canā€™t figure out EZCad2. Way to confusing and you have to put in SO MUCH EFFORT. My wallet is ready, Canā€™t wait for a truly useful program to run my fiber laser on. Thanks for taking on this enormous challenge. I personally know of over 20 other fiber owners who are excited for the release and ready to subscribe. Keep sane my friends!

A post was split to a new topic: LightBurn for LaserPecker2?

Dear Lightburn-Team,

please announce a beta soon!
EZCAD is driving me nuts :wink:

Best regards,
Michael

1 Like

BUMP Bump to keep alive

My 30W (OMTech) fiber arrives tomorrow. Hereā€™s to hoping the Lightburn for Galvo comes soon, or at least goes open beta.

Lightburn coming to Fiber is the only reason I didnā€™t drop $800 on a PC computer when I bought my fiber. Instead, I purchased Parallels to run EZCad on which was much cheaper. Canā€™t wait!

if you need a guy that breaks stuffā€¦ and finds errorsā€¦ let me knowā€¦ I use mine daily for marking all kinds of metalsā€¦ I have a Raycus 50w running on a MAC mini, in phx azā€¦

thanks guys