New lens, can't get the focus

If there is a problem, which seems likely, this is a waste … it has to have

1. tube working properly
  2. optics aligned and clean
  3. focus

If it has all of these, it will work. It seems you are missing one of these.

If I remember, you have one lens that works, which would make me think you have something faulty with the other lenses.

Pretty low odds that something else is ‘off’ and a ‘bad’ lens fixes it…

I want the air pressure at the material and blowing though it… This cuts much better than the one with a short nozzle.

:smile_cat:

Makes sense. I think air pump is one of the weaknesses in my system. It’s the one delivered from the china man. But seems to work.
How can I make sure, tube is working properly ? I mean, it sends the laser beam… this is all I can see…

Then it’s broke, you can’t see an ir beam out of a co2 laser… lol…

The best way is to check the beam at m1. I cut out targets that fit in the ‘hole’ so I can place a target there without tape or other issues.

With a target I pulse my beam for 10mS@20%, might have to pulse it more than once for a good image of the beam. You don’t want a burnt hole just light enough to see how the tube is resonating…

If it’s state is other than TEM0, you need a new tube…

If it’s working with one lens this may not be the issue…???

Testing now a bit. The problem is now with the 3mm MDF at 15mm/s and 40%-50% power, it cuts on the left side, but not on the right. It doesn’t even scratch the bottom.

Here’s my beam on the 3rd mirror:

I hopeyou can see the light burn below (from left side) and the darker burn on top of it (from the right side). They are not exactly in the middle of the mirror, but they match quite well. I learned that this is more important and means the laser path is ok.

Bed is leveled and I made sure it’s the same focus as on the left (Rear right is 0.5 - 1mm higher, which I’ll fix later).

So, I still don’t have any idea what’s wrong.

How do you set time and power of the pulse ?

How did the m1 burn look like?

Do you have the same alignment from m1 to m2?

Are you sure the target is centered on the mirror?

Can’t really see how your head it built…

Notice on my original head, the hole is not the center of the mirror or tube…

it is not sure that you have the same controller, but the settings are probably roughly the same.
Power setting is on the home page of the panel. (at my machine)

If you take the lens out of the nozzle and make a shot (pulse) in each corner of your machine bed, what does it look like?
When you have a fine test pulse mark on mirror 1, the fault can “only” lie in the frame or the nozzle’s (not) perpendicular position.

However, it is an irritating behavior from your machine, make a bigger pot of coffee and start over with troubleshooting, we follow you from the sidelines.

Hi guys.

Thank you so much for your support and suggestions.
Short version of this reply: Everything works now (surprisingly)

What I did:
I checked laser path, mirrors and lens again. M3 was a dirty, so I cleaned it. After resampling everything again, it cut on the right front corner well, but still on right rear it didn’t cut through. Thought it was something with my laser path on the M2 short distance.
However, I tried the new 2" lens and gave 6mm focus. It cut nicely on each corner. I accidently gave 9mm focus at some point and - it cut on each corner. I tried down to 4mm and it cut again. I tried 6mm birch plywood (which gave me headache all the time) and it turned out to cut well on all corners on 5mm focus. Here some samples, with 20mm/s and 80% not even burned black:

I’m absolutely surprised by this. And happy ! Will try full cuts over the whole boards this week, see how it works out. Knock on (ply)wood.

For reference, my beams for M1 + M2:

Not perfect, but took me some time months ago to get there. So I’m not keen to mess with it again.

Best. Peter

It’s not aligned…

I don’t know what size of mirrors you have, but one dimension is shorter than the other to the ir beam as it’s at a 45 deg angle.

This is one of my targets, two ‘shots’ close and far … from m2…

Good luck

I’m glad it’s progressing, congratulations.
BUT… what you say about your alignments is an understatement :wink:
You are not in focus at all, sorry.
The good news is, you will find out how to do it and you will be amazed at what your laser can do with the right focus.
Keep going and be patient.

Wow, that one looks perfect.

[quote=“jkwilborn, post:49, topic:72450”]
one dimension is shorter than the other to the ir beam as it’s at a 45 deg angle.[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by that Jack.

For the record, this is not to tease you. But if you imagine that a laser beam has to move over 1 meter and pass 3 mirrors and a lens with a center of a few millimeters, then you realize that there is not much room for misalignment.

OK, I understand, I have to realign my laser path so the beams look like from Jack.
Have to find out how. Watched many video clips and know the idea behind. But always I can either get one beam in the middle or both aligned somewhere. So there must be something fundamentally wrong. I will work on this when I have a full weekend to spend. For the time being, I see what happens to my cuts with the given setup.

of course not, no worries. I appreciate your constructive critisism as I like to learn from you guys.

All the mirrors on your machine are at a 45 deg angle to the beam. So an 18mm mirror in m1 or m2 has a height of 18mm but a width of about 12mm. So for these mirrors you need more accurate in the Y directions. They should all be closer, it will work much better.

We all struggled with this, none of us set it up in 2 minutes first time. I’ve modified my machine a bit, which make alignment much easier, so I can do it in about 10 or 15 minutes from nothing. Just takes a few minutes to check and do minor adjustments.

Most maintenance is just cleaning the debris off it…

What alignment procedure are you following to align the machine.?

Starting from M1 getting centered and try to center and align close and far for M2 and M3. Also vertical M3 to the material.

I have bought an Always On laser pointer that starts with M3 but I couldn’t get it right as I had no idea how to align the tube at the end. I have then seen I can adjust it vertically but haven’t tried again. I actually like this idea of having the always on laser beam from M3 to M1.

What did you modify ?

Maybe you are suffering from how to properly align a laser beam…

This is a very good video. The machine is a bit different and you might not have some of the same adjustments as he does, but there is no difference in the procedure.

Most people think they can move where spots coincide, but you can’t move that, you can only make them coincide. If they are too far off you have to move the destination mirror.

Is this the one that goes from the lens tube backwards?

Good luck

Yes, looks like half a bullet :slight_smile:
Last time I have moved M2 to get it near the middle. I have seen some clips from Russ, but thanks for pointing this one out.
Best