New tile engraving method

According to that chart, my 500 g (1.1 lbs) would only have 7.8 metric tablespoons in it.
Not a chance!

That should be correct. Compress it to take all the air out and would probably be right.

Iā€™ll run with your 10.9g tablespoon ā€¦ thanks

:smiley_cat:

Fluffed or unfluffed?
I did fluff mine, @Marcus_Wakefield may not have fluffed his.
Donā€™t think it would really matter much, but may as well have fun with it.

I canā€™t remember the degree of ā€˜fluffingā€™ Iā€™m afraid :rofl:

Thank you ask for your comments tablespoon requirements. I spend the whole afternoon on Sunday remixing Tio2 following Ronā€™s recommendations. I suspect the table spoon I use do not have enough Ti02. Iā€™ve been pretty through also. I sifted the Ti02 powder before putting in the container with 100ml PVA, 3 x tablespoon of water and 2 drops of hand wash soap. After stirring it using battery operated handheld stirrer I pour it through another sifting filter to get it properly mix and stir again. The end result was the tile engraving patches when Dark colours are still not dark enough. To make sure my diode engraver have no problem I did another engraving using Norton method. It cam out better and black squares are darker. Will try again as soon as I have time. Also after reading feedbacks from all of you I will not give up using Ti02 method. Thank you ! John

Taking my own advice?
Some time ago when I made my last PVA/Titanium mix I decided to make a bulk mix and store it in jars. Seemed like a good idea at the time. This last week I picked up a jar and found that the contents had separated out and the neck of the jar was too small to take my electric mixer. So I gave the mix a good stir, as I thought, and continued to use it. The end result was appalling and covered in streaks and patches where the painted on mix was uneven. Due to the neck size of the jars and knowing that I needed to solve the problem, I purchased a small battery stirrer and spent a good part of an hour trying to use it. It really dose not have enough power so was a waste of time. OK update, I have now removed bits of the stirrer paddle and reduced the drag in the liquid. Seems to work better now and the mix given a good long stir is now working as it should. So here are two of my latest etched tiles plus a pic of the battery stirrer.

Like I said. You must make sure the mix has beem well stirred or end up as I did with yet another bin job. :rage:

1 Like

For those of you with a CO2 laser, I found a method that requires NO prep, AND NO cleanup. I found that Dahl Tile brand 0790 arctic white matte straight from the box gives a dark grey mark that kind of sparkles in the sun. If you are making tiles to sell,this makes the labor part almost nonexistant, and makes the pricing with a reasonable profit margin much easier to sell. The only drawback, is only the matte tiles from Dahl Tile work with this method (I tried a lot of different brands).

2 Likes

I used the Zinnser primer for several months, had good predictable results. Being alcohol based I found it when I was searching for a paint method that didnā€™t require acetone or lacquer thinner to clean up the tiles. It seemed to be less sensitive to coating thickness. Blacks were still black even if the paint thickness was a little heavy. I still had to use a mild paint stripper or mineral spirits to clean my tiles though. Once I came across the TiO2 with glue and water I did switch mostly because itā€™s water cleanup. Personally Iā€™d rather use less chemicals since I do tiles almost every day.

This posted in the wrong place!

Not sure if you were asking me or someone else, but I use a ā€œfullā€ tablespoon. Full meaning slightly heaping, so not level. Tablespoon meaning the actual measuring instrument.

Thanksā€¦ I was hoping for a gram weightā€¦

:smile_cat:

My scale that measures in grams doesnā€™t get used much. If I can figure out where I put it last time I cleaned, Iā€™ll weigh it and let ya know.

Thanksā€¦ that stuff is so fine, it gets everywhereā€¦ I have a couple of scales, one for cooking and a much more sensitive one for gramsā€¦

I did a tablespoon and it weighed out at about 5.5 gramsā€¦ One of the guys were saying it was 10 gramsā€¦ a bit of a differenceā€¦

That wouldā€™ve been me, see my post above.

Sorry Iā€™ve tried a bunch of theseā€¦ even on the fiberā€¦ trying to cover all bases on the mixtureā€¦

Found the scale! I forgot the old gray one conked out and I replaced it with a white one, so it was sitting there where it belongs the entire time. So hereā€™s the moment of truth. Drumroll ā€¦ 13 grams.

Thanksā€¦ Guess I have about 1/2 the amount of TiO2 I neededā€¦

The teaspoon/tablespoon, issue is a headache, I weigh everything when I cook, so itā€™s 2nd natureā€¦ This is especially true when one uses EU or Imperial table/teaspoons.

Thanks, Iā€™ll note it downā€¦

I couldnā€™t agree more! Thereā€™s absolutely no confusion or room for interpretation when using weight.

I usually ask for two spoons of sugar in my tea. Should I now ask for 26grams. :hugs: Glad thatā€™s sorted.

1 Like