New tile engraving method

That’s funny. When I work with plastics, molds or this stuff, I measure, sometimes by weight, usually by volume. When I cook I pour powdered things in my hand to measure. Liquids are usually guestimated. Cross between the two are whaever spoon fits in the jar and then it’s guestimated.

i freaking love this!!

a pioneer and a legend!

:money_mouth_face:

When I cook, I can usually taste it and tell what I’m missing…

It seems to be a problem doing that with these TiO2 mixtures, they seem to taste the same… :rofl:

It’s more like baking something… you have to have the formula right or it won’t come out right…

:smile_cat:

Laser cutting to the rescue:

More details on my blog.

2 Likes

whaever spoon fits in the jar with Laser cutting to the rescue

leads me to … how is he cutting the spoons?:exploding_head:

Neat application… good :thinking:

Can you fit some ball bearings/glass beads/marbles in that jar? Might help mix it when shaken mayhaps.

I use this sometimes for other paints.

Tangent, but I use sand for cleaning out bottles with grubby insides too. Sand+detergent+water+shake and any bottle comes out sparkling. :slight_smile:

I’m excited to try your method! I have some gum arabic that I want to experiment with as the medium (it’s the medium for watercolor/gouache), just waiting on my Titanium to arrive!

I’ve not used gum arabic but I have tried Natrosol (I think it’s 250HR grade). I’ve not had time to experiment as much as I’d like but it looks promising and is very easy to wash off. You can even scrape off any which has not been lasered, rehydrate it and use it again. I expect gum arabic would be similar in that respect.

are those glued to the outside of the lid?

With Genuine 3M Extreme (double-sided outdoor-rated foam) Mounting Tape, my go-to method for sticking this to that. Good stuff!

Taking a break from rotary and reviewing the old Ron Clarke thread. Hope to get back to it soon. When I saw this photo, it brought me WAY back. I was in the USAF stationed at RAF Mildenhall 93-96. My future wife was also stationed on the same base and I met her at a pub in Bury St. Edmunds. Met in August, First date in Sept. Married in December and it’s 27 + years later. Hope to get back there some day. Cheers Ron!

Hi Tim. Nice to hear from you. I retired 22 years ago and moved from Essex to Stanton in Suffolk. I’m 85 and enjoying the peace and quite of the surrounding area. I live on a retirement park which is built on one of the WW2 USAF air bases. My drive way is the base of one of the old living quarters floors. A lot of the original air base buildings are still in use by local businesses. The old control tower is our local Royal Mail sorting office. If it’s of interest to you there is stacks of info on the web regarding the USAF in Suffolk.

:+1:
We lived in Brandon for a year. So close. Passports are ready to go back! Thanks for your service!

I’ve tried it now and it is indeed similar to your description.:smiling_face:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this - use IPA to “liquify” TIO2 before adding to PVA+Water solution.
Reason being, IPA does not let clump prone powders to clump, instead it makes it a slurry like consistency.
I use this method to add guar gum into giant bubble mix bucket. Guar is very prone to clumping, but small amount of IPA to liquify the guar powder makes it as easy to mix clumpless as just dumping it into the bucket and stirring all at once…
Disclosure: i dont have any TIO2 to try it on, but this is why i ended up in this forum thread - to figure out how to use pure TIO2 without all the hassle and cost of acetone cleanup… It will be the foirst thing i’ll try when i get y hands on some TIO2 - mix with IPA and then dump it all into PVA+water.
Anyone care to try before i get to it ?

P.S. Not sure how IPA would react to PVA, though…

If you hunt around on the internet you’ll find lots of people do it for different purposes… So I doubt there is much danger

This was just water and TiO2 and a little PLA, 6X6 porcelain tile on the co2.

Did it when it was dry and hot here in the SW desert…

2 Likes

I have tried just about everyone method with either bad or inconsistent

results. so as per usual I did my own thing. I use Ti02 powder, water and tempura paint. I use a cheap detail HVLP from harbor freight and usually do a couple coats.

draw back slow drying and needs multiple coats, but the back is very black and I have my mixture down and application down and it is very consistent. I do still do a test on each new batch of mix i have to make sure I did it correctly sometime I forget things… like the second coat. I’m not saying other methods are good or bad this is just the method that has worked for me so I’m staying with it for now. Maybe it can help others.

2 Likes

Those are some black blacks. Any chance of providing ingredient quantities and a link to the particular tempura paint used?

Nice deep black…

@DougL has my same thoughts…

Do you have a formula so we can mix it up and try it ourselves? The TiO2 needs to be weighed, if possible… trying to get a tablespoon of it or some other volume measurement of it is very inconsistent…

Mind posting a link to your sprayer…

EDIT picked up this hvlp from harbor freight.

I have a couple of air brushes, but they keep getting plugged up…

that is the sprayer i used