Not Cutting at Current Position (Or I'm Not Understanding)

The vertical placement was high about 1/2". The Green dot origin was in the center front flank of the cow exactly where I’d expect center to be. Interesting now is when I click “Use Selection Origin” and click the graphic it is in the same place, but when I click off the graphic the green origin moves down and to the left about the distance that it is off. Not sure how to account for that.

This is with “Use Selection Origin” checked and the graphic selected. If I click the “Set Laser Position” and click on the green origin box, the head moves up and to the right off the center marking. I feel like I’m getting closer but don’t understand why it’s working this way.

This is with “Use Selection Origin” checked but the graphic unselected.

If you’re comfortable uploading the .lbrn file someone could review to see if there’s anything going on in the file itself.

Taylor Dinosaur Butcher Cuts.lbrn2 (2.1 MB)
This is the file. I did edit it slightly from the first picture to center the 3 animals onto the dinosaur a little better but otherwise the same.

I’m tending to think it’s not related to LightBurn.

I took a look through the file and I see nothing obviously wrong with it that would cause this behavior. Preview looked exactly like you’d expect. What you’re describing almost feels like if you were in user origin mode and had forgotten that you had set one. It shouldn’t behave this way in current position.

This behavior is likely because the origin will revert to placing job origin relative to the whole page since nothing is selected.

Is there a way for you to test this without ruining boards? Maybe running it at lower power on something disposable?

Maybe try removing the 2 layers you’re not outputting. See if that changes the behavior.

Otherwise, don’t know if you’re in a time crunch with this but perhaps just line it up for Absolute Coords and try to sort out why this isn’t working separately.

Hoping someone that’s more familiar with your controller will be able to identify something perhaps controller specific.

By the way, how are you connected to the laser? Is this through USB? I’ve seen some strange behaviors with RUIDA controllers on USB with Macs.

Are you noticing issues with other jobs?

Might be worth trying ethernet or Lightburn Bridge if not already on either of those.

I am using the Lightburn Bridge as I am on a Mac.

Yes, I’ve had the problem before, I just figured it was me and being new to Lightburn but since the frame shows the correct placement, it just totally baffles me why it is off when I “Send” or “Start”.

Take a look through these topics. They discuss peculiarities with the Ruida controller and usage of current position.

There are a few things in here but the takeaways I saw:

1. make sure multi-origin is not set
  2. set start origin to 0
  3. return position set to Absolute Origin
  4. you may need to hit origin key after centering…

Hi Tammy, welcome to the forum… Let me take a ‘stab’ at this and see if I can help get you going in the right direction.

The ‘Start From’ and ‘Job Origin’ work hand in hand, so to speak…

If you have ‘Start From’ set to ‘Absolute Coords’ then the ‘Job Origin’ is greyed out, since the job origin is absolute coordinates or 0, 0. I happen to run most of my detailed stuff with that setting…

If it’s ‘Start From’ is set to ‘User Origin’ you generally have to put the head where you want it and press ‘origin’ on the console keypad.

‘Job Origin’ specifies where, relative to the ‘User Origin’, that the image will be ‘anchored’.

So if you choose bottom left, then the ‘image’ (or whatever) will be produced to the upper right of the ‘user origin’ .

Choosing top right puts the ‘image’ down and to the left of the ‘user origin’.

The ‘Current position’ is supposed to work similar, but doesn’t need to be set. I don’t really use this with my stuff…

Does this make sense?

I’m not sure what is happening for the position. I think you just need some time working with it.

This has got to be the most simple type of operation, but it has bamboozled more people than the national debt.

Might want to read up here… Lightburn Coordinate and Job Origin documentation.

Good luck, I’m hoping I’m not a hindrance.

Take care…

:smile_cat:

1 Like

This is a good thread but with all the back and forth discussion it’s hard to follow. I really liked that the original post was edited with a summary of what solved the problem. :grinning:

It’s not solved yet, but I do agree it makes it so much easier when a solution is posted in the OP. I’ll do that if I figure it all out. I’m still having problems. It frames, but doesn’t cut where it frames and now it is skipping areas of the cut. Ordered an adapter for my mac with an ethernet port to see if that fixes it. Fingers crossed.

That doesn’t sound promising. Wonder if there’s something more fundamental going on.

I suspect this won’t resolve the issue if you’re already on the Bridge. By all accounts the Bridge seems fairly robust in terms of basic functioning.

The purpose of the Lightburn bridge is an added layer of software to deal with the specifics of UDP and the Ruida interface.

As @berainlb points out, doubt an Ethernet addition would be of much benefit since the bridge is already connected to the laser via Ethernet. Wifi between the bridge and the router is very dependable with a good signal.

Good luck…

:smile_cat:

Tammy, I am not sure if you solved this yet, or not. I just saw this post from the weekly email received from LightBurn forum.

Unfortunately, it’s below freezing this AM in Texas and my laser is in the garage, and tube empty at the moment, so I can’t actually try your file. However, I do lots of projects similar, and at least I can tell you my method, and what works. I’ve never had an offsetting problem like yours, so I use the technique, and maybe it will work for you.

1. Use some cardboard to test this on. Put an X or mark where you want the center origin to be.

2. Make sure to set your power way down to just over minimum firing power. You just need to see where it’s going to engrave.

3. Move you laser head manually to center over the X on the cardboard.

4. PRESS the Origin button on your controller panel. This sets your “User” origin.

5. In LB, set the Job Origin checkbox to the centered circle

6. Set Start From: to User Origin

Those steps should center the design (represented with green dot in LB) exactly where you set the Origin (by pressing the origin button previously).

I would leave off Use Selection Origin.

Run it and see what happens. Be careful engraving on cardboard. It’s very easy to catch it on fire. Keep speed up and power as low as possible in settings for the layer.

Best of luck,
Ray

PS: I too am on a Mac and using Wifi connection. I generally find on a complicated project it better to “Send” the file to the laser, and then to load the file from the laser controller and run it from the laser. Every once in awhile it will fail sending the file to the laser, but generally a retry will take care of it. Once it transfers without error dialog popping up, I’ve never had an issue with anything sent over.

Thanks Ray.

This is similar to what I was trying except I was not using User Origin so I’ll try that when I get home tomorrow. I am still trying to figure out why when I framed it, it was in the correct spot but as soon as I did “send” to the controller it was off. It did it 3 separate times, all with the same file. I tried “Send” and “Start” and got the same results.

I did find a post about deleting the preference folder (which is essentially reinstalling Lightburn) so I did that. I have not retried this file yet, but so far it is cutting where expected. Once I test this again this week and if it works, I will update in the original post in case someone else has a similar issue in the future.

OK, good luck. One thing I do in addition, after “sending” to the controller, I load the file on the controller, and then push “frame” there on the controller. Not sure if you were framing from LightBurn or via the controller. For me setting the origin on the laser (by pressing the Origin button), then using User Origin, I have never had an issue.

Best of luck.

I will definitely try that. Good idea! Much appreciated!

The issue is using the origin button is what “User Origin” is for. It is my understanding that between update 1.0.04 and 1.0.06 they broke “Current Position” and it now acts the exact same as “User Origin”

I haven’t tried this with a Ruida controller but I can say at least for GRBL that this isn’t the case. User origin works as intended and is distinct from current position in behavior.

yeah I am specifically speaking in regards to ruida controllers like on my Thunder and others like Boss.

I haven’t seen this referenced as a known issue. Do you have any Topics you can point me to?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.