Ortur laser won't turn on after attempted firmware update

Ortur was great and after a long back and fourth they sent me a new board. Unfortunately it was an ENDER 3 board and not for my laser. I cried.

I found my original Manual and firmware download zip file I got and reinstalled V1.32 and it now works as it did before the v1.34 installation. Tried reinstalling V1.34 and it does not boot, reinstalled again 1.32 and perfect… Redownloded v1.34 incase it was dodgy but it still didn’t work. I guess v1.34 isn’t compatible with my 1.3 board?

1 Like

Our problem is connecting to the board to upload software

Did you get any joy from anyone on here because I’ve just had the exact same thing happen, leaving my machine with that dim red light constantly, being unable to power it on. When the reset button is held, it makes a brief appearance on windows then disappears, leaving no ‘Port’ device in device manager.
I really dont want to have to go through the same inconvenience as you, if I can avoid it! I think I may know the mistake I made, by copying both .bin files in at once, when the window appeared. In my defence, my machine is 10ft away from my pc so I could hardly hold buttons down while clicking mouse buttons :mask:

We need help here please!
Not sure if my friend on here has had his problem resolved but I have just encountered the same issue after weeks of problem free use.
A single Dim Red light, no matter what is pressed, leaving the machine inaccessible by pc. I had my hands somewhat tied when doing the update but its still not helpful if the machine is Bricked. The Reset button yields nothing but a brief WIndows Error sound and something appearing briefly, but nothing more. I may need to contact Ortur myself if I cannot resolve my issue, which is very disappointing, considering it’s been working so well.

@OrturTech - do you have a possible solution for this?

Ortur replaced my board but sent an Ender 3 board. I have given up and will look at a different laser. maybe a k40

No! never?!
I’m surprised there’s been no responses here yet, so I’m hoping there will now we have numbers.
I’m certain that my predicament is exactly the same as yours and I ain’t giving up after spending £180 a month ago, to end up with a Bricked machine through no obvious fault of my own. I do have a couple of other machines, a 7W Neje Master (great little machine with a 150mm x 150mm footprint :frowning:
and another rig the same size as the Ortur but using a Mana SE3.2 Board, neither of which are quite up to the speed of the Ortur. A K40 is a big gamble by what I hear :-/
If this doesn’t work out on here, I’d stick with a legitimately powered Solid State machine as the co2 tubes have questionable lifetime, plus the machine is like a small car :smiley:
I cant reply at the moment as ‘New users are limited to 3 replies’ !!!
I will certainly TRY and keep you updated John. I doubt that Ortur Tech would want bad publicity for not helping at all, in 2 obvious cases of Bricked machines through no deliberate misuse by either user. Keep hoping mate!

I was even willing to BUY a replacement board but couldn’t find one. If you do, send me the link. I’ve tried everything to resent mine.

Just to let you all know, the instructions for uploading the firmware must be followed as stated or things don’t go well… There is a very long thread on this and it is not worth the risk of messing up the bootloader if the firmware is already at the latest.

https://forum.lightburnsoftware.com/t/ortur-laser-master-and-laser-master-2-firmware-updates-1-34/11714

FWIW, I’ve fixed a number of boards and posted specifics in the thread linked above. Usually it’s Mac users who mess things up because they use the GUI/Finder to drag/drop files to the tiny Ortur USB drive and the Mac copies lots of other stuff and quickly fills the tiny 50KB of space. You do NOT want to copy more than one bin file.

long story short, Windows sucks and Mac is goofy. Don’t use winzip or else it will boork the bin files and they won’t work. Use rar and chances are the extracted bin file will be named the same as it was in the archive and it won’t be modified. If you can’t get the board to pop up as the Ortur USB disk using the instructions linked above then the bootload is probably borked and it can be fixed by someone who knows how to use STlink v2 programmer or you’re good with a bit of tricky boot0 pin pull-up, button release, etc( worst than holding pwr button for 5 sec, push/release reset button, release pwr button dance.

I’m in San Diego, CA and can fix your boards if you’re nearby. At least Laser Master boards, I’ve not messed with whatever is in the Laser Master 2(if different).

Would you be willing to talk me through this in a zoom chat. I’m in Stowe Vermont.

BTW. I’m on a Mac and a Noob to this. I realized I probably messed this up and that’s why I was willing to buy the replacement board.

Do you have a 3.3v FTDI cable or the STLink v2?

Also, if you can still get it to present the Ortur USB drive then it’s probably possible to flash the firmware on the Mac using the same command line tool I’ve used on Linux.

Ok. Pretend you are talking to a 5yr old. By present you mean when I try to connect I can see the drive on my PC or Mac. No I can’t.
Do you have a 3.3v FTDI cable or the STLink v2?
Nope. But I am willing to send you the board.

Send me a Private Message and we’ll work out the details of getting the board to me and visa versa.

We’re having the same problem. Would you be willing to try to walk us through what you know? Our PC won’t even see it now after trying to update.

Keith, have you read though this?

https://forum.lightburnsoftware.com/t/ortur-laser-master-and-laser-master-2-firmware-updates-1-34/11714

The steps to putting the bootloader onto it are not for non-programmer types. Requires removing the board, carfully removing solder from some header pin holes, having a programmer(STLink v2, the flashing software and the bootloader which needs premission from Ortur directly.

Not a GUI menu point and click thing.

Thanks I read through the thread, couldnt find any help there.

Great, what was the cause of the problem and what is the status of the system now?

Same as before. Ghost red light, won’t power on and computer doesn’t “see” it.