Playing with ceramic tile

Gonna run some tests tonight but I’m not optimistic. The alcohol ink method is probably a better option on CO2.

So my informal tests using cheap glazed white tile from lowes along with rustoleum flat black enamel paint at various speeds and power levels (40w with mini grbl)

Nothing that’s a true black but 30mm/sec and 10% power produced the best results. Photos show the tile right after burn with the Mattr paint still present and another picture after the tile had been cleaned with mineral spirits.

Most of the test had a silvery look.

3 Likes

Tried another couple of tiles. First one is a friends logo. Its not black but very dark grey and seems durable. The second was of the lion was from a beautiful high contrast black and white image I found online. This one turned out like crap. I used the same 30/10 setting and chose Jarvis dithering. I wasn’t sure what raster method I should use.

there was a post today on one of the laser groups of a guy doing the flat white with a K40. They were amazing

Amazing results from Zach Terwee 40 watt Co2

I tried etching 6" glazed tile with the Star Wars Aztec calendar raster image and it turned out okay except for a few light bands. I am attributing it to uneven spray paint distribution across the tile. It’s the only thing I can think of.

4 Likes

@BCanning I have seen a video from Trotec on Tile
How was this done?

not really possible for me to even answer when I have no idea what video you might be talking about

@BCanning I think this is the video
https://youtu.be/5up-_a0OwrU
@PopaRayLaser is talking about

Cheers

Sas

looks like laser tile to me

Yup! It looks like tile to me too

http://www.achievelaserengraving.com/visionceramictiles.html

Is that your business @BCanning?

Very interesting work.

no, thats the tile in the trotec video, it’s called “lasertile”. Wish it were my business, that stuff is worth a fortune… wait, sorry, wrong page, Lasertile seems to be closed down. It is a laser sensitive ceramic tile

Now’s your chance to make it your business!

Not at the prices they were charging!

I found the following posted in another forum:

I bought tiles in early 2017. The quality was terrible as compared to what I bought before no matter what setting I used. Danny was the distributer and he never returned calls.
Not only photos bad but text either flaked and banded or both. I wish we could get him to answer about the flaw in manufacture but fear he may be out of business!

Looks like there is a need for laser tile @Bulldog & @BCanning would be the perfect candidates
To revive this business

Sas

1 Like

I just use regular white ceramic
Spray with flat white
2.5 watt Eleksmaker
1200 mm/min 80% power 318 DPI
After lasered removeall white paint with Lacquer Thinner
Paint fuses with ceramic black and cannot come off even with a sander
Alot of Co2 people have achieved this BUT they must SLOW down to 30-50 mm/sec (that kills them LOL)

1 Like

I have been playing with this method too. So far I have had no success. I have a 100w co2 laser. If you get it figured out, I would love to know what you have had success in.