Rotary axis not working properly

That looks like it.
When I query the laser it comes back with ruida 644X (possibly 644xg)
On reset it shows RDLC V5.00.35

Do this for me:

• Run LightBurn
  • Go to Help > Enable debug logging
  • Right click the 'Devices" button (with your laser powered up)
  • You should see “Found Ruida xxxxxx” or similar along the bottom of the window
  • Turn off debug logging
  • Quit the software

There’ll be a text file called LightBurnLog.txt in your documents folder. Email it to developer at LightBurnSoftware and include a link to this thread. I might not be classifying that controller properly.

Thanks I’ll do it now.

Email sent hope that is the data you need.

Oz, I have a 2-yo Thunderlaser Nova 24 with their chuck-based rotary axis. I haven’t tried to use it yet, but am willing to test it with a Lightburn version that adds direct support should you need someone for that sort of testing.

Is yours the ‘7 pin’ version that plugs into the U axis, or the older style that connects to the Y?

It’s a 5-pin connector with a separate switch to activate it. Does that info help? I haven’t tried to use it yet so don’t know how it is supposed to work but can find out. I would like to use it in future and am willing to take some time to explore it if that will help you make it usable with LB.

That sounds like the older style, but I’ll have to check with Thunder to be sure of that.

Just did some image searching for the controller and you are correct it is a Ruida RDLC320-A
I found it on Aliexpress.
Would a better controller be beneficial or will I be better off just keeping this one?

It’s a capable controller - there’s nothing wrong with it, just a little bit older and a few of the newer settings don’t work with it (rotary included). Swapping out to a 6445G would give you a shiny large LCD display and a nice keypad, but the functionality wouldn’t be affected much (aside from the rotary settings).

I’m going to be adding handling of devices that use scaling for rotary instead of the on-controller settings, so if you can wait for that, you likely won’t see much difference, aside from the above. Doing a controller swap isn’t “hard”, but it can be tedious - you have to move all the settings across, re-do the wiring, test and iterate to make sure everything is set correctly, and it’ll mean a day or two of downtime.

Thanks for the reply I’ll keep this one and use Lightburn.
I’ll just scale any rotary jobs, I only use about six glass sizes when engraving so once they are calculated all will be well.
Just going through the tutorial videos and I’m very impressed so far.

Hopefully, I’ll have the funds for the licence soon, I have 25 days to go so I’ll make it no problem.
Keep up the great work with this software.

Gary

I have a Thunder laser and everything was running great with the rotary. I updated last week to the newest version and just tried the rotary and now it is way out of whack with regards to the amount of rotation. I inputted .45" and it shows accurate what the circumference should be but when I do a frame the left to right is accurate but the X is way to long/wide for the diameter input. I also still have the steps at 16000 where they were before. Any help is appreciated. Thunder Laser, Ruida and 2.5 years old.

Thunder Laser changed their controllers at some point to use the U axis instead of the Y axis for the rotary, and changed slightly the way the settings are applied. I changed the code to handle the new way, but didn’t make it so you could pick the old or new behavior, and it seems like I might have to. No good deed goes unpunished it seems.

Truly is great software and thanks for that. Is it possible to reinstall the previous version again that was working fine?

The trial version still had a few days on it but after working with this software I am so impressed I bought a licence :+1:

Still finding things that take seconds to do that took bloody ages in RD works!

Brilliant!

It think it should be “The Best software for laser cutters”, rather than “better software for laser cutters”

Right I’m of to cut stuff with my laserrrr :+1:

@NorthcoastTim - You can grab it from the version archive here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j8Z0gfKS0ert7n0qnN05W5aimU6Fontm

1 Like

Thanks again. Seems to be working today at 16000 steps. Not sure what the gremlins did overnight but I’m not mad at this at the moment. I’ll see how the tumblers go today.

That’s very odd - I’ve seen blips on Ruida even with the stock software, and it’s never clear to me if I’ve just done something incorrectly as a user, or the hardware burped, or something else. Regardless, I’m happy to hear you’re running again.

A post was split to a new topic: Rotary setup issue

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.