Rudia 6445 alternative rotary wiring question

I currently have a rotary tool and Rudia 6445 controller. Currently the only way I’m able to use a Rudia and the rotary tool is by using RD works software with x,y,z, u axis connected at the same time because lightburn only give me the option to use Y as an alternative.
With this, has any one wired up the connections from the Y axis with some type of switch to enable the rotary to work through Y without having to physically unplug Y and plug “U” into y’s port?
If someone has done this, can you tell me how you did it? I would need to know what kind of switch you used and which wires were interrupted to make the change from Y-axis to rotary-axis.

Hopefully someone can give me some guidance before I go breaking things because I hate switching to RDworks just for rotary stuff.

Does the machine have a separate stepper motor driver for the U axis connected to a jack inside the cabinet for the rotary cable?

Do you normally unplug the rotary and store it on a shelf when it’s not needed?

If that’s the case, then a reasonable hack for LightBurn would route the 6445 controller’s Y axis stepper signals to the U axis motor driver. This avoids switching the high-current motor wiring and uses the hardware as intended.

The stepper motor drivers have an Enable input that is (almost) always not connected. In that case, the driver is always enabled. What this hack does is add a switch to disable the Y axis driver when it’s not being used.

You will need a simple SPST (“On-Off”) switch, probably on the front panel to disable the Y axis driver:

• OFF = switch opened = Y axis enabled
  • ON = switch closed = Y axis disabled

The U axis stepper driver will be perfectly happy “driving” thin air instead of a motor, so it can remain enabled all the time and does not need a switch.

On the Y axis stepper motor driver:

• Add a jumper from the +DIR terminal to the +ENA terminal.
  • Run a wire from the -ENA terminal through the cabinet to one SPST switch terminal

On the 6445 controller:

• Move the U axis STEP and DIR wires to the corresponding terminals on the Y axis; the Y axis outputs now connect to both motor drivers
  • Run a wire from any GND terminal to the other SPST switch terminal

Now you plug the rotary into the U axis as usual, flip the switch, tell LightBurn to use the Y axis, and It Just Works™.

By the Universal Law of the Conservation of Perversity, the rotary will spin backwards from the way it used to. If that’s the case, then tell LightBurn to reverse the direction.

This hack does not preserve the separate U axis motor function for RDworks, so if that’s important, things get more complicated.

Thanks Ed, the answer to both of the first questions are Yes. I dont care if I ever use RDworks again for anything, the only reason I used it is because LB doesnt have the ability to control my rotary with out having to unplug the U and plug it into the Y manually.

If its as easy as you indicated, this will be a good alternative for me.

Verily, it is written: Nothing is difficult for the guy who doesn’t have to do it.

:grin:

:smile_cat:

I would totally install a switch and some obvious wiring than flash the controller firmware with a blob from a non-Ruida site.

It’s surely legit, but … what could go wrong?

:person_shrugging:

Ed to clarify, this is a single switch and not 2 switches?

I am currently on v35.01.08, so v26 wouldn’t play nice with my controller

Yup, one of the simplest switches imaginable: two terminals that are connected with the switch in this position and isolated when it’s in that position.

Not having a handle sticking out might be a plus:

https://www.amazon.com/TWTADE-Solder-Rocker-Switch-KCD1-X-Y/dp/B07XC5KB8D/

First, check your controller, as it may already have the ability to route the Y-axis signal to the U-axis output.

Install and open RDWorks, go ‘User’, ‘Read’ the settings, then under the ‘User’ tab select ‘Other’ and see if you have an option to change ‘Rotating axis’ to ‘Axis U’:

Is there a way to do this through the machine console?

I have to dig up a windows machine to deal with RDWorks, so I never use it…

:smile_cat:

Another option…

There is another out there where the guy supplied multiple adaptor cables, but I could not find it.

I guess I don’t understand what is supposed to happen here. I checked my RDworks and my system is already set to U axis and I am able to use U only when I use RDWorks. Am I supposed to change this to Y or leave it as U?

If I leave it as U, then there is no change in how lightburn fictions and it still moves the Y position.

If I change the parameter in RDwork to Y, then Only X respond and Y doesn’t do anything and the rotary doesn’t turn. So either I don’t understand what I am supposed to be changing seeing or that isn’t going to work with my machine

You must click ‘Read’, if necessary change to ‘Axis U’, then ‘Write’, and then ‘Read’ again to confirm the change was written.

Then close RDWorks.

The change to U-axis may not be obvious from LightBurn, but when you switch to rotary mode, and ‘Send’ the job to the machine, and then start the job from the Ruida control panel - you should notice the Y output is sent to U when the job starts.

Update: we have a success. The steps were almost there but needed a little more clarification.

Two prerequisite:

1. The firmware for RDC6445G needs to be .30 in my case it was v35.01.30
  2. Need to have RDWorksV8(8.01.60) which allows for the change the controller-based ‘Rotating axis’ setting to ‘Axis U’ or “Axis Y’

Process:
Part 1 - RDWorks

1. Load RDWorks (make sure controller/machine is on)
  2. In control section on right side select ‘User’ tab.
  3. Select ‘Read’ the settings,
  4. Once bar reaches 100%, under the ‘User’ tab select the radio button ‘Other’
    5 Scroll down until you see the sectio. ‘Rotating’ and then look for ‘Rotating axis” option
  5. Next to ‘rotating axis” you will see either ‘Axis Y’ or ‘Axis U’.
  6. If Axis Y, click and change to Axis U.
  7. Click the ‘write” button and write the chance to the controller. (I clicked write twice just in case and ‘read’ to verify the axis)
  8. Once written. Close RDWorks.

Part 2 - Lighrburn

1. Load Lightburn
  2. Navigate to the ‘’Laser’ tab,
  3. Click the “enable rotary” toggle
  4. Ensure that option ‘Start from’ is set to ‘User Origin”

Test operation.
5. On machine manually move laser head to correct starting position and press the ‘Origin” button on the controller.
5. Navigate back to lightburn and Create line box to use as a test file
6. ‘Send’ test file to the controller.
7. Go to the controller, and press ‘frame’ button
If all is configured correctly, the rotary should rotate and axis x should move accordingly.

Thanks for all the help getting here, hopefully this helps someone else.

2 Likes