Snapmaker Image Inverting

I see you have LightBurn set to dither this image. Sorry, more specifically, was this imaged dithered outside LightBurn along with the background removal editing? If so, turn on Pass-Through so LightBurn will not resample the image.

The only thing I did outside of light burn was remove the background. I directly imported that “Original Image” that I posted earlier. Does this mean I still need to turn on Pass-Through? Thanks

No, if you did not dither outside, you do not need to turn that on.

Is there anything else I can do to fix my problem?

@GravityWarp Does it do the same thing using the proprietary snapmaker software?

We are a bit stumped to be honest. What results do you get from the software that came with this laser?

Using Luban(The proprietary software) the image comes out normal, but I can’t use the dither type which I think looks the best, and you can’t fine tune the settings as much as you can in Lightburn.
Thank you for trying

If you want to attach the LB file, I’ll run a test on my laser. I understand that I’ll actually need to do a burn since the preview looks good.

Heres the filebandit2.lbrn (438.2 KB)
thanks

I can’t burn it this evening, but I will tomorrow.

I do have a couple of questions, as I know nothing about your laser.

Is this a grbl laser? If so, do you need to set laser mode to on and set power or is this hard-coded?

To give you an idea of what I’m talking about, my laser is a grbl laser. So I need to send a command $32=1 to turn on laser mode in my grbl controller. Then I need to send $30=1000 to set max speed. Then in LB, I need to set the S-max parameter to 1000. If I don’t do all three of these settings, things go bad.

It is marlin based I believe, and I have never use the Console to input any commands, only used the options in lightburn to change settings.

I know nothing about Marlin, but just read a bit on it. It seems similar to grbl.

First thing tomorrow morning, I’ll try to burn your file and report what happens.

1 Like

@GravityWarp Julian: I just ran your file. The only changes to LB that I made were to change the speed to 100 inches per minute and the power to 60%. I’ve used these settings before with success. I burned it onto unsanded MDF. I turned off air assist as I don’t have air. I changed the size to about 3" square.

It burned fine - no inverse.

I am quite new to LB, so I don’t believe that I can take this any further. I can’t duplicate the problem so I can’t try anything to fix it. Sorry. Maybe someone at Snapmaker can help. Good luck.

Thank you for giving it a shot.
I don’t have air assist either, so maybe turning that off will make a difference.
Now I know that it is a problem with my machine and not so much with light burn.
I’ll let you know if I find something.

@GravityWarp You’re welcome, Julian. I don’t believe that the air assist feature will address your issue. With luck, someone at Snapmaker will be able to help you.

Snapmaker A350 here; I have a very similar issue + another.

So here’s the project with both images on same layer and same settings (negative is not on and everything is default except turning to dither (issue also happens with Jarvis and Stucki)) and also the results.

131991498_10164723184990220_7927040505625247610_n 132032305_10164723185120220_4879634025255874293_n

Looking closely… it appears that “255 Pure Blacks” are coming back as white? or zero power?

Greyscale mode works correctly; but everything else does not… But on top of that; when I’m using Greyscale, the ‘speed’ function does not work… 10mm/s and 300mm/s gives same result. Speed function works with line, and fill, but not with image (could this be snapmaker controller / powerchange speed limits causing a limiting factor?)

GravityWarp…

It appears there is a bug where it’s omiting pure blacks in the Snapmaker for some reason and it’s amplified with Dither to omit everything close to pure black.

My current “work around” to get it to work is use Greyscale mode with a “curve filter” applied in photo editing software to the image to limit blacks from reaching 255. Running a greyscale gradient calibration right now (power vs. dpi) for best settings (will post findings here).

Now that you point it out, my images aren’t inverting either, the pure blacks are just being cut out. Because if you look at the back of the dog’s neck, it is light both on the original image and the laser cut one. But the eyes, which are very black, are inverted. Great find.
I’ll try to do some tests as well with the new information

This fixed my problem. I also used a curve filter to brighten the blacks but I think changing the S-Value did the trick. I changed mine to 235 just to be safe.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.