Snapmaker Ray - no crosshairs when framing

Hi,

I have changed the software from Luban to Lightburn and it works basically pretty well. I have only a few things which do not work as expected.

One of them is that there is no crosshairs visible when I start framing. I have to start it on the snapmaker controller to get the crosshairs back on, but from there the framing still has an old project active. However, that helps at least to activate the crosshairs and I can then start the framing with my new project.

Is there a way to solve that ?

many thanks and kind regards
Franz

Take a look at this post. The OP didn’t have luck with this but you may fare better:

Thank you for the prompt answer, I will try it right today. I still have to learn how to implement this code. Is it in a macro ?

kr
Franz

You could create it as a macro but I’d suggest first just running in Console to confirm whether or not it works.

ok thanks. When I started the machine today it worked without changing anything. So at the moment there is no need for that anymore. If it comes back I will try it.

The software is generally working really fine and it is noticeably more precise with measurements. That may not be so important for many users but it is a key criteria for me

I am still having some issues with movements. It probably depends also on the origin-config:

The function to move the laserhead to a defined position of the workscreen causes a straight movement into the limit in the back.

I can move the head using the buttons on the screen but it does not work with the keys on the keyboard. That would be more comfortable for many situations.

I would like to turn the exhaust fan off after some time as it seems to run permanently after the first job.

Many thanks again and kind regards
Franz

Make sure that your laser is homing properly or else this won’t work correctly.

Which keys are you using? For numeric keypad movement window focus must be on the workspace.

I’m not aware of how the fan is managed but in any case, it’s something handled in hardware, likely in the controller.

Thank you.

The Laser is homing well. There must be another reason for that. It is reproduceable, when initiated it drives immediately into the limit in the back.
Could also be a mistake in my configuration. I am still not sure how to set up the origin options. Do I have to consider the original config which I made before in Luban or is that independend from the Lightburn config ?

I am not sure if I had the focus on the workspace. Will try that tomorrow.

I guess there is something in the software as well. Otherwise it should behave in the same way as it does with Luban. That seems not to be the case.

Maybe you get more details from snapmaker over the next weeks. In any case many thanks for your great support !

Kind regards
Franz

sorry for not separating the 3 comments for better reading, I hope you understand them this way as well.

Can my problem be related to the fact that I have also negative values for the movements ? - I have read in the documentation that Lightburn does not work with negative values on the work space ?

I have them, no matter how I set up the workspace and the origins.

Kind regards again
Franz

What is the reported position after homing? Can you run the commands in Console and return the output?

$H
$#
?

Do two things:

1. Make sure you’re using Absolute Coords in Laser window
  2. Do not move the laser head by hand after homing

Retest. What happens?

Anything that’s stored on the machine (GRBL configuration) will be common between applications. Anything that’s defined at the application level will be application-specific.

Yes. The command at top will reveal that.

Good morning,

I have to leave now but will be back in the afternoon and continue testing. From what I remember, the values after homing are correct. I will try these commands in the afternoon.

I don’t move the head by hand with Lightburn since I know it. I did that at the beginning after switching over to LB.

That means that I can use this function only with absolute coordinates ? (Would be ok for me - just to know it). I think I did that with absolute coordinates already but will try it in the afternoon as well.

Many thanks and kind regards
Franz

No. All modes are available but I want to eliminate variables to understand what’s happening.

Hi,

1. Homing
    it moves to the home osition but needs a slight adjustment until it stops and it does not automatically show the 0.0 and 0.0 coordinates. It shows them only after I hit the button to get the position.

On all other positions / movements up from the origin (31.0 and 0.0) it shows automatically the current position.

1. Your commands:
    with $H it goes to the home position and says ok, but does not show the coordinates as above. Only after hitting the butten to get the position it shows 0.0 and 0.0. Before getting the position it shows the coordinates for the origin (31.0 and 0.0)

$# shows the following:

[G54:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G55:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G56:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G57:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G58:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G59:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G28:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G30:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G92:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[TLO:0.000]
[PRB:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000:0]
ok

Kind reagrsd
Franz

Hi,

I have set your commands again right after homing without getting the position manually:

$H
ok
$#
[G54:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G55:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G56:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G57:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G58:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G59:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G28:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G30:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[G92:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000]
[TLO:0.000]
[PRB:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000:0]
ok
?
<Idle|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|WCO:0.000,0.000,0.000,0.000>
ok

Maybe that helps also.

Many thanks again and kind regards
Franz

HI,

maybe another helpful info:

sending the head does not work in both options, neither from the workspace nor from the move dialogue. As I can send it only in one direction in the move dialogue, I have tried it in x- direction and that works as expected. Y does not work. It seems that y is inverted.

Sorry for bothering you so much with my problems.

kr
Franz

Reported position after homing looks fine.

Can you provide the following:

1. Full screenshot of LightBurn with your design loaded and ready to burn
  2. Screenshot of Edit->Device Settings

Good morning,

you find the screenshots attached.

I am not sure if I wrote it already, the machine works fine and does almost everything as it should. It is just not moving correctly if sent directly to a defined position (in the workspace or from the move dialogue) and it is not mving with the keyboard.

kind regards
Franz

to be more precise:
I set a distance in the move dialogue and then move the head with the arrow buttons in the move-dialogue. That works fine in all directions. Sending the head home or to the origin works fine as well.

Setting another origin with the buttons in the dialogue did not work.

Kind regards
Franz

I want to make sure I understand exactly what you mean. Are you saying this is only an issue when entering values into “Move to position” in Move window?

I’m trying to understand the negative coordinates you’re showing here:

To re-confirm. Are you meeting these conditions?

1. homing the laser before every session
2. never moving the laser head by hand, always using the jogging controls to move the laser
3. machine is not crashing
4. motors are not skipping/losing steps

Do the resulting burns look okay?

How exactly are you trying to do this?

How did you do this? What are you expecting to happen and what happened instead?

Hi

yes, I do your steps as recommended (Homing before every session, not moving the head by hand).

The resulting burns are perfect and the machine is not crashing, nor skipping nor losing steps. It works fine.

The only issues I have are the following:

1. I can’t send the head to a defined position neither from the workspace nor from the move-dialogue.
  2. I can’t move the head with the keys on the keyboard
  3. I can’t move the head in the continuous mode, only stepwise
  4. Setting the origin seems not to work from the move dialogue (that is not really a problem - I just found it out)

Regarding moving the head with the keyboard:
I thought that it is possible to move the head using the keys on the keyboard instead of the buttons in the move dialogue. (Hitting the keys on the keyboard is easier than hitting the buttons in the dialogue with the mouse).

Regarding setting another origin:
I thought I can change the origin also with the corresponding button in the move dialogue. I have sent the head to a different position and pressed the button “Set Origin” in the dialogue. It did not change the origin. (As already mentioned above, this is not a problem).

As I don’t want to move the head by hand, I move it always in steps in the move dialogue. To do that I have to enter the desired distance and can then move it with the buttons in the dialogue. This usually requires several steps until I have the head where I need it.

It would be more comfortable to send the head in one step to the desired position, or move it in a continuous way until it reaches the desired position.

Being able to do that also with the keys on the keyboard would also be more comfortable.

Many thanks and kind regards
Franz

sorry, I forgot to confirm that the issues are connected only with the move to position function and the corresponding function which can be used in the workspace (mark a point in the workspace and send the head to it).

kr
Franz