Solved: Old wifi router as bridge for OMTech Polar 350 to connect via home wifi network

Hello, I wanted to share how I got my OMTech Polar 350 connected to my home wifi network using an old wifi router as a bridge. Several posts include helpful information that got me part of the way there, but I didn’t see anything that covered this specific solution - so I wanted to document it here in case this is helpful for anyone else!

I have a Mac that doesn’t have USB or ethernet ports built in, so I was keen to have a way to connect to my machine without using too many hubs or adapters. I did my initial cuts and calibration using a USB A to C adapter, which worked fine. I also experimented with the built-in wifi but didn’t like how that required you to disconnect from your main wifi network and lose internet connectivity. That said, these two methods worked fine for me and are documented elsewhere.

The IP address for the OMTech Polar is 192.168.1.100. My old router’s default/gateway IP was 192.168.1.0. I connected the ethernet cable from the Polar to the old router and joined the wifi network (without internet). I was then able to use the same ethernet/wifi settings in Lightburn to easily connect to the device. I think it was because the first three parts of the IP address matched, so I didn’t even need to manually change my computer’s IP (as described in the Polar video).

My main router’s IP was different on the third part - 192.168.X.X - so I manually changed the IP LAN settings on the router to match my old router and the polar more closely. I then connected the old router as a bridge to my home wifi network.

This didn’t work for me at first. My bridge router was automatically/randomly assigned an IP address of 192.168.1.117 when it connected to my home wifi network. I decided to instead manually set the bridge router IP to the computer IP that is recommended in the Polar setup video - 192.168.1.80. Once I did this and everything restarted, I could instantly connect to the Polar through my home wifi using the device IP - 192.168.1.100 - without manually changing any IP settings on my laptop.

Helpful posts on this topic:

1 Like

The OMTech Polar network setup video is here and a good starting point Polar Operation Tutorial - YouTube

Your bridge and your main router thinks all the devices hanging out there are smart enough to use dhcp, which the Ruida isn’t, it a static ip device…

You probably need to bind the Ruida MAC address to the IP address on that bridge or better still, disable the bridge dhcp protocol… usually your network router will attempt to issue dhcp addresses and the bridge doesn’t interfere…

I’d suggest disabling dhcp on the bridge, probably should not be active anyway.

You should still bind the lasers IP to it’s MAC address in your main router. This will prevent it from changing if you change anything else on your lan.

Make sense?

:smile_cat:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.