Connect Omtech Polar to Ethernet

I have an Omtech Polar laser, and have successfully connected it to my Mac via the USB port. I would like to connect it via the ethernet port - here is where the issue lies. The Polar’s don’t have an external controller, and RD Works isn’t compatible with the Mac, so I cannot find the IP address of the controller itself. Is there any way for me to connect this laser via ethernet? The USB cables are horribly unreliable.

1 Like

I don’t know exactly, but I read that it is set to 192.168.1.something…

Might have to plug it into a simple lan and scan the network to find it.

I saw it mentioned somewhere and I thought the last octet was 100, but I can’t remember for sure…

I’ve seen this asked numerous times on many sites…

I’d write OMTech and ask them what it’s set to and how to change it…

Don’t forget to come back here and tell us… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Good luck

:smiley_cat:

Suggest you read through this whole Topic. It didn’t lead to a conclusion on IP connectivity but covers some of the bases and would likely accelerate your knowledge acquisition.

I think it would be great if you could pick up where the topic ended and close it out.

I did see this topic. My problem is getting the IP address of the ruida controller itself on my Polar. I use a Mac, so RD Works isn’t an option as it isn’t mac compatible.

Have you attempted to connect via WiFi? It looks to me like the Polar will create an Access Point that you can direct your computer to connect to. It’s possible you’ll be able to determine the IP of Polar’s WiFi at a minimum at that point.

Open question:

1. Does the ethernet port share the same IP as the wifi connection
  2. Is there any management site or something you’ll be able to access post wifi connection. I’d suggest connecting, then checking the gateway IP configured for your connection after that to determine the IP of the Polar. Then entering that IP into a browser to see if there’s any sort of management interface.
  3. In either case, you could test the IP identified in step 2 against the ethernet connection. How are you planning to connect ethernet to the Polar? Would you go into a common switch or would you connect directly from computer?

Unfortunately, OMTech wasn’t very much help - they pointed referred me back to their user manual which tells us to go into RD Works to assign the IP.

I’m back to the circle of RD Works isn’t compatible with a Mac…

I’m kind of in the same boat. I run Ubuntu Linux, so RDWorks doesn’t natively run on my machine either.

I steal my wives Windows laptop machine and use it. Although we’re doing the same thing on either machine, Windows seems very difficult to me.

When I get success, I usually can’t specify exactly what I did to make it work…

My only suggestion is to borrow a windows machine to run RDWorks… I know it’s a pain, but I doubt the Chinese will make versions that run on multiple platforms.

EZCad2 has software that helps you adjust lens distortion on the fiber machines. I spend a couple of days and about 10 hours to get it to work on the spouses machine.

The other option is run RDWorks in a virtual machine on the Mac.

Good luck

I don’t think RDWorks will provide any value in this scenario. RDWorks does not configure the IP of the controller as we confirmed in the other Topic unless something was missed. It only sets the IP for which it looks for the controller. This is no different than what LightBurn does in that regard.

I just received a new response from OMTech - apparently this got to the right person. Here is what I learned - I’m dumb. See the video here: Polar Operation Tutorial - YouTube

I followed the commands and it works perfectly. I have watched this several times in the past, and apparently completely glossed over the fact that they made a fantastic video with all info needed. Sigh…

3 Likes

You very well may be right, I’ll disconnect mine when I have a few minutes and see what it does when I change things… I’ll have to do it from the wifes machine.

I would hope if you could change it remotely, Lightburn would implement it somehow.

As far as I know there is not wifi option on the Ruida that’s very common, has anyone see how it’s connected?

I’ve never heard of wifi builtin to a Ruida controller. I’ve only seen it associated with OmTech Polar as brought up in the other Topic. The Polar is supposedly a repackaging of Gweike Cloud which does not have wifi so take that for what it’s worth.

I would think it would have to have some kind of additional control hardware… There is definitely no wifi capability with the Ruida that I have…

Interesting conundrum…

Watched the video, it shows them set it up for an ip of 192.168.1.80 on Windows, but sets lightburn to 192.168.1.100…?

This is the IP for the ethernet device on Windows. The IP of 192.168.1.100 is the IP of the Ruida that you’re setting from LightBurn in order for LightBurn to know where to send the packets.

If this machine is a complete repackage of the Gweike cloud then it’s not possible to connect to LightBurn via ethernet, I’ve assembled more info on this and everything else I know about the Gweike Cloud in a post here:

Post 9 linked to a video that actually has a solution for this and does in fact work according to the original poster.

Oops! I missed that! Thanks for the correction!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.