Step Size issues- movement larger than expected

Hi All, relatively new to this laser engraver world, and looking for some help. I bought a Chinese cheapo with a Arduino Nano controller. Originally it was recommended to use with Benbox, which found did not work for me. So I flashed to GRBL 1.1f. I installed Lightburn as it looks to be good software and after a driver, got the two communicating. So here is present issue:

1. will not home- maybe because no limit switches?
  2. Step sizes seem incorrect- Meaning i jog and it seems to move much farther than what is indicated.
    I setup a basic circle to cut which was 35mm diameter. When i ran the job, It starting cutting what looks like 10 times that amount and soon ran into the rails.

I am assuming that the step sizes are not correct, but do not see a way of adjusting for that in light burn.
Do i need to create a custom GRBL firmware for my machine?
Any help and guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

1. The Home command, when issued, tells your machine to seek the limit switches to establish a repeatable origin. Without limit switches and homing enabled, issuing the home command will give you an error.

2. Read https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Grbl-v1.1-Configuration#100-101-and-102--xyz-stepsmm
    and How are steps calibrated?
    You can edit the actual step length settings in the Edit => Machine Settings dialog in LightBurn.

The problem is that the firmware update also erases the factory values so you have to remember to save them beforehand and then restore them.

I had the same phenomenon when I updated my machine from 0.9i to 1.1f: the distances covered were multiplied by 10.
Just change the values $100 and $101

:slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks will check it out