User Introductions

Hi John,

Have you been able figure it out yet? I have a 10w endurance that I use on my Ender 3. Your CR 10 should really simular if not the same as mine. Give me a shout if you want me to try to help.

Hello All,

I’m Joe.

Post Falls, Idaho (just west of Coeur d'Alene)
HL-1060 100w Ruida (blue Chinese laser purchased in July); Epilog Legend 2000 25w bought in 2004
Just getting started with LightBurn.  Adept with CorelDraw use for Epilog lasers.
Hobby, Prototyping, Part Time Production
Been working with lasers for decades.
I build CNC Routers so have a few machines ranging from 18x24 to 48x96; vinyl cutter; 3D printer
Store is a work in progress...

Looking forward to learning and making more cool stuff.

• Joe
1 Like

Hello All,

1 : Location
(Nantes, France)

2 : Laser owned
(DIY make by myself, a year ago) my machine is a 4 in 1 (Laser 15w, Cutter, Dremel, Pencil) under Arduino + CNC Shield V3)

3 : LightBurn Experience (I’m self-taught, I tried the LightBurn demo 2 months ago, I ask for an extension, then I buy it :slight_smile: it’s an amazing software for me, very easy to use. use )

4 : Principle Use (Hobby, I use it to do everything :slight_smile: engraving glass, wood, slate, tiles, but also as a CNC controller to manufacture various parts.)

5 : Amount of experience with laser (I have been using the laser for about 2 years, I started with the 2.5w laser on an Anet A8 printer.)

6 : Other computer controlled equipment (CNC / Cutter, Dremel, Pencil)
Web Based Store (No)

thanks for reading

1 Like

What type of products do you produce? do you cut or do you engrave. I am about to procure a large dual laser Zing 1500x1200 and want to run it as a business as well. Just trying to expand my knowledge in what’s possible to create with the larger tables.

Cheers

Do you build and sell your CNC Machines or do you jus build for yourself.

Cheers
Sasquach

Hello Sasquach,

Yes, I also sell what I build. Use LinuxCNC/MachineKit for controls. Can use Mach 3/4 as well. Message me if there is something you’d like to discuss.

All the best, Joe

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the offer. I ended up frying my 10w endurance laser, so I ended up buying 20w from china. I think I fried by 10w because I didn’t use a driver? Any advise on how I can learn about what drivers to use with the 20w laser?

I wanted to use this nice opportunity to introduce myself:
It all started about 2 years ago when I bought my first 3D printer (a Cetus) and started to heavily modify this machie: Adding limit switches, my own hotend, custom bowden extruder, heated bed, a PT1000 thermistor, smoothieware compatible CPU, and a custom firmware. I was very pleased and astounded by the flexibility of smothieware in particular. And soon after I added a small little UV Laser to the print head to expose PCBs. Kind of did work (eagle->flatcam->octopi->smoothieware). But you see where this is going.
And about a year later I started to develop the need for a laser cutter. But maybe not like what you would imagine. It was not that I needed to use it, but that I needed to have it. I wanted to build it.
So by the beginning of 2019 I started buying parts, the cheap ones first, like the linear rails, just in case I should decide otherwise along the way. Aluminium profiles, power supplies and what not. I always had a Reci W2 tube in mind while planning, but since these are quite expensive when bought from a German reseller (I did not want to risk problems with the cunstoms) I ordered the tube last. All in all it was not a cheap design, a K40 would have likely been only 1/10th of the cost. But again: I wanted to build my laser cutter:

• 90W, bed 750mm x 500mm, Z movement of bed 60mm
  • precision linear rails everywhere
  • 2x digitally adjustable air flow, one for air assist, the other one for experiments
  • coolant pump, fan, lights, exaust, standby mode all individually controllable via software
  • safety interlock: door, E-stop, coolant temperature, coolant flow, laser over current
  • fume exaust, carbon filter etc.
    All the nice stuff. Very pleased with the look, too (no RGB though).

Software wise I started with LaserWeb4. What a nice project! Really cool interface, the server part ran on a Raspberry Pi 3b, and it tought me a lot about how to operate th laser. But creating raster scans or cutting slightly more complex *.svg files was terribly slow. Not the actual cutting process, but the path planning took ages. One job took about 20 min on LW4 what LB can do in ~3 seconds. Plus, a few options I felt were missing. But the wost part of it was that apparently the main developer left the project for personal reasons. And there was no development after that. A dead horse. Really a shame. So since 4 weeks now: LB to the rescue. Easy peasy. Piece of cake. Lots of options. What LB can’t do, I can program in smootheiware. Love it. A “pre job gcode” feature would be nice to have though.

I think this is it from my side. Btw: I studied physics and I am a researcher at a university. I teach my students how to process measurement data and image processing. I work with 3D printers, robots and computed tomography machines, I design electronics and I love programming/hacking.

I still have very limited use for the cutter
Cheers, Achim

2 Likes

Very clean build you have there! What temp are you able to keep your coolant at with that radiator? i would love to see a build log if you have one! :slight_smile:

An epilog Zing won’t work with Lightburn.

Heck of an investment of cash with no business to fund it. Maybe get something cheaper to learn on and sound the market.

There is no such thing as a 20W diode laser. The most powerful diode on the planet is ~7w.

Endurance lie - a lot.

1 Like

It looks like they attach two “10 watt” diode assemblies together and call it a 20 watt laser. They charge about $1045 for that. You can get a real 100 watt tube for about the same price.

1 Like

I wonder who makes their ‘10 watt’ diode? It isn’t Nichia, who’s most powerful is only around 7W.

Yeah, George Fomitchev does a wonderful job of marketing to the gullible. I was sucked in - once.

If it is, they are pumping up the volume (voltage) and thus decreasing the lifetime by a factor of thousands.

You can buy a complete 40W CO2 machine for $400 - why on earth would you want such a useless piece of kit as a $1000 diode? I’ve got a few Nichia diode lasers about the place and the only thing I can think of that they are better than a tube is the size of the dot. But taking 20-50 times longer for a simple job means they are mostly used as toys for teaching new users.

Thank you for your response. My question was directed toward what you use the machine for. I do have a business model for what I intend to use it for and the larger machine will allow me to expand the size of the material I will be using. Cheers

You still can’t use LightBurn with it. That doesn’t change.

I’m not sure I’m comfortable giving my business model out for anyone who asks. I spent most of a decade getting there.

Thanx for your reply. I was just curious what you made with your laser that’s it. I respect your statement. I was not asking for the amount of cinnamon you put in your Cinnabon , your Coca-Cola recipe or the name of your secret spices in your KFC fried chicken.

Cheers

1 Like

Hello everyone. Back to introduction?!

I am Volkhard, living in Germany and being retired. In the past I had a woodworking business in the US running professional CNC machines.

I played with 3D printing before and just received a Chinese red&black 80W Co2 laser.

This one comes with a Topwisdom 410C controller which is unfortunately currently not (yet) supported by lightburn.

I have not started up the laser yet. Before I can get it up my smalisch staircase (650mm wide) I have to do some surgery by taking of the base and make the laser into a “desktop” version for transport before I put it back onto the base upstairs in my office. Most of the work is done and transport is planned with some strong helpers later this week.

Lasercutter are new to me but I assume I will be eventually able to takle this task as well. Having a lively forum is a bonus.

For what I have read so far I am very interested to start from the get-go with lightburn instead of working myself through Autolaser which doesn’t come with many positive reviews.

In regard to other Software I work with:
Coreldraw 2019, Corel Cad, Fusion 360.

Upgrade to a RuiDa controller.

Contact RuiDa directly and tell them how awful Topwisdom is and how wonderful RuiDa is and they might do you a special deal :wink:

Changing over will be relatively trivial, but you MUST grab the parameters before you swap it out or you will be spending days working it out.

Hi, I am Martín from Olavarria (Argentina). I bought the laser there for 2011 to add service to my business (photo lab) but I had already seen one and it seemed the perfect machine to play (having grown).

My laser is Goldenlaser, 1300x610 mm, double fixed head, 80w + 50w. The software was awful and with dongle restrictions … look hard to choose the 6442s and the wireless panel. It was a resounding change
I have been a software programmer in the past and I really like electronics so I put my hands on everything I can on my machines
I knew about Lightburn through the forum of 6442, then I put aside the improvements a bit and the situation here did not give to invest except the essential. Recently I saw him again and the incorporation of the camera is something that I have long sought. I still don’t see the return of investing in the software and the camera. Is just the local situation. Maybe when generic cameras can be used with better results
I also have a generic 3D printer and when I can I am learning to use Rhinoceros
There is a fotumm (the name of my business) on Facebook that has little, but more information than the website :slight_smile:
I hope to learn and contribute
Martín.-

1 Like

Hello All,

1. My location Birmingham UK
  2. I own a EleksLaser A3 2.5w, bought 2 days ago
  3. LightBurn Experience 1 day
  4. My principle Use will be for hobby use
  5. This is my first laser
  6. I also own a WorkBee CNC Router 750x750mm
1 Like