Why is my laser not working

Well I’m VERY happy to say that the laser is FINALLY up and running, I decided to update LightBurns connection to my GRBL Board and tell it that it now has homing, I also tried running a picture of Our Lady but with the laser in the off position, you may have told me this but I forgot well needless to say it worked!! Here’s my first project complete!!

now one other question I have, and it’s a software one, my bar at the bottom of the screen I can never get to it, why is that? Here’s a picture
The bar that allows you to have different cut conditions

How much stuff do you have stacked along the right side? The default is two windows (Cuts and Laser) - if you’ve added anything, and have a small display resolution, that would make the window taller. You can also try just maximizing the window, or grabbing the top edge and dragging down to resize.

Ya it won’t let me drag the screen to drag down, it will only shrink sideways, which I thought was wired, stupid question but where do I go to set it to default?

Window > Reset to default layout

I reset the software but still can’t reach the bottom bar here’s another picture

I may have found bug, when you double click the light burn icon up in the top left corner it automatically shut down the whole software. But if you hit it once and hit size and you try to move the whole software screen at a angle it just pushes the whole software out of the screen so you’re stuck having to close the software and reopening it. I don’t know if that would help any.

Okay so I can see the hole bar at the bottom now, I just need to hit the maximum on the screen option when you click on the LightBurn icon, every time I load up LightBurn but that works thanks :blush:

This double click is a standard Windows feature, and has been for a very long time:

I’ve been using Windows since 95, and I never knew that. :confused:

It’s basically a shortcut so you don’t have to go all the way to the right side to close the window if you’re closer to the left.

The other thing I noticed is that when I try to use that Arrow on the left hand column to drag the laser anywhere on the laser table it acts as though I didn’t home the machine, it throws that alarm 2, which if I remember correct that means it thinks it’s out of bounds or going out of bounds. If one of the X or Y axis is inverted would that cause this?

There are a few configuration things you need to do for GRBL devices - they’re covered in the first paragraph here: https://github.com/LightBurnSoftware/Documentation/blob/master/CommonGrblSetups.md#common-grbl-setups

Where do I find what all these commands do?

I know only a couple, like $H that’s homing or $X is to reset but that’s like it :joy:

You literally just go to Google(DuckDuckGo) and type what you have. “Grbl 1.1f commands” gives you the answer in the first result.

1 Like

Everything about GRBL is here: https://github.com/gnea/grbl/

Now that everything is running as it should, I’m trying to learn my way around LightBurn, what is the reason for the “Test laser focus” button I ran it but wasn’t sure what to do next or the prepuce of it. The other question that I have the moment is do you have a setting where I can read the g code and m code? I would like to be able to see that while my machine is run.

The focus test only works if you have Z control enabled. It runs multiple lines at different heights so you can visually see where the best focus height is for your machine.

There isn’t a setting in the current release to show the running GCode, but the next version adds it. You can just use the Save GCode button to save what LightBurn would send to a file.

Okay thanks, so you know when the next update is? Also I was wondering if y’all plan on adding a tape measure so that you can measure different things with in a project. Again just wondering, even if y’all would make that a separate perches for that feature I for one would buy it as that’s very handy.

We do not provide release dates, things can change along the way and we won’t release until we are confident in the new update. :slight_smile:

Please explain what you are looking for here. LightBurn currently has the ability to measure things using the ‘Draw Lines’ tool. Use the pen mode to draw a line. If you’re near an object point when you start, it’ll snap to that point. As you drag the line out, you’ll see the length in the bottom status bar, along with the X distance and Y distance. If you get close to another object point or center, the line being dragged will snap to that too. When you have the measurement you want, hit the ESC key (or right mouse button) to cancel the line.

Or, if you are looking for a 'Dimensioning" tool, have a look at this post.