Snapmaker Rotary Axis - Any comments from the LB developers?

@ColinW I installed today version 1.4.0.1 but the bug is more or less the same. I am not able to use the A axis instead of B Axis. If I press “Check” the rotary is now moving 360° left and right but as you can see is still mm/U and not 360° and if I go to the “Move” tab the rotary function (rotate) is only for A-axis availabe and nothing moves if I press the botton. I guess there is a little bit more to do, isn’t it? What I am doing wrong? Please advice …

@Colin & @adammhaile : in the meanwhile I tried a first material test with rotary module. Now the rotary module rotates but also the x axis is still moving. This is a no go for rotary work. The x axis must be fixed during the task. So I can say from my point of view the bug is still existing but only a little bit different. Is thsi realy such a rocket since? It seams so … :frowning:

We’re investigating.

Sorry, but none of the developers actually has one of these machines at the moment, so we’re going entirely on what’s reported. From the original conversation above it was noted that if you simply changed A to B in the output it worked. I noticed that there was a legitimate bug in the code that prevented it from outputting the B axis, which was fixed. And, in the end, I honestly snuck that fix into the 1.4.01 release at the last second - we normally would have pushed a beta version for you to try first.

@Obicom Can you go into the devices window, select your machine, and then click the Export button. That will save a device profile file that I would like for you to send to me (if you can’t upload it here please email to support@lightburnsoftware.com) It would be very helpful having that to narrow down why it’s still not working as expected.

@adammhaile here my device settings:
Snapmaker_Artisan.lbdev (4.0 KB)

It’s a pity you didn’t take my original post back in December 2022 more seriously - I didn’t even get an acknowledgement from the devs.

I would have been more than happy to assist with code testing on my machine, like I did with Oz way back when we established basic support for the Snapmaker 2.0.

Like others I have been patiently waiting for a ‘fix’, which your latest update is not. Whilst the B axis is now present in the code, the moves are not even remotely correct. It should contain Y moves and B rotations as is the case for the Luban software output I listed in the OP.

Apologies for the confusion. I am investigating the issue and will provide beta builds as soon as they are available.

Quickly looking at it, it seems to B is checkable, yes, but it defaults to 360mm per rotation. Simply making this the same as GRBLs A axis (degrees per rotation) just outputting a B instead should be fine.

This is how I’ve been using my rotary with Lightburn. Doing manual gcode edits to swap A for B and rotating my output to swap X with Y. It’s all laid out in my rotary guide near the beginning of this thread.

So for Lightburn; basically copy the A axis functionality (degrees instead of mm), just output as B, and flip output from X to Y, which should resolve needing to rotate 90 degrees. Sorry if any of this is repeating what’s said above, just trying to clear it up from my own experiences. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Fixed values, woops.

Thank you, the summary is certainly helpful.

Er, X to Y. My bad. X shouldn’t move.

Edit: I’ve been doing gcode manipulation at work and swapping in the opposite direction so my brain just kept going. :upside_down_face:

I understood what you meant. And believe I have a fix. Working on getting some beta builds available.

2 Likes

@Obicom @Skreelink
Check out the 1.4.02 beta build here: LightBurn-v1.4.02.exe - Google Drive

No guarantees that will work but I believe I made it do what you were suggesting, so hopefully it does.

Nope, quickly tossed an image in and while it says B and 360 now, goes to initial start with Y/B, then it outputs X/B for the rest of movement. All movement should be between Y/B.

G21
G90
G0 X0 Y0 F3000
G91
; Image @ 12000 mm/min, 100% power
M107
M05
G0 Y-20.755 B-0.022 F3000
; Layer C00
G1 X5 F12000
M03 P100 S255
G1 X0.08
M05
G1 X0.079
M03 P100 S255
G1 X0.08
M05

EDIT: Looking at the layout, X scanning should be B (assuming 0 degree scan angle) and Y scanning as normal. I can’t do any physical tests right now, because I’m at work, but I can read over the gcode. As such, the way it looks, it’s initial movement G0 Y-20.755 B-0.022 F3000 is reverse. In the preview the head moves X negative (assuming laid flat) so it’s scanning Y as X in that first move, and B as Y. For the project I did, I put the user origin center bottom of the image which is 50mm. So it should have scanned B-20 first, then scan back across B in place of X, then Y bumps up the interval.

Can you try it with just vectors?
I think I just missed the image code path, but for now lets see if vector works.

Vector is better, but still seems reversed.

G21
G90
G0 X0 Y0 F3000
G91
; Cut @ 12000 mm/min, 100% power
M107
M05
G0 Y25 B0 F3000
; Layer C00
M03 P100 S255
G1 Y-50 F12000
G1  B69.365
G1 Y50
G1  B-69.365
M107
M05
G90

50x50 square, center bottom origin. Swap Y and B outputs and it should be good.

So Y is actually the rotary?

@adammhaile I installed new beta and did a first try. In Rotary section it looks better but stll B axis. (I would expect A) And if I do a try rotary is not moving but x axis and this is again the no-go. So X xaxis is doing what rotary should do. I do not know how it looks for Y. As I know Lightburn got an Artisan for testing … why you not use it to make Snapmaker (Artisan) compatibel at all with a finished pre-set?

No, B is the rotary, and Y moves the bed. It’s the layout that is the problem. When outputting a rotary project, Y scans along the X axis, and B scans along the Y axis. Basically, you’ll have to layout your project (currently) as if you’re looking at the machine from the side instead of the front.

Example; You setup a project like this. Assuming you’re looking directly at the front of the machine since the rotary faces forward and rotates left/right.

In the preview, the laser moves right to start at the bottom right corner first, turns on, and moves clockwise, heading left first. You would assume (given the layout and perspective) that B would turn, since it’s going left/right. However, it’s moving in Y.

G0 Y25 B0 F3000 ; Moves right
; Layer C00
M03 P100 S255 ; Laser on
G1 Y-50 F12000 ; Moves left

Basically making the entire project rotated 90 degrees. This CAN be used, however, if you set the entire project up rotated like this;

But that’s cumbersome to remember for the average user.

My guess it’s because most all other rotaries (and how Lightburn have it setup) rotate forward/back, whereas the snapmaker rotates left/right. That’s what I meant by Y/B need to be swapped. :slight_smile: Y should move up/down and B should move left/right. Sorry if I sound confusing.

1 Like

Exactly - B is the rotary axis and Y is the linear traverse up and down the ‘cylinder’. X axis is not used, apart from manual centering along intended axis.

Thanks for your efforts here, you beat me to it. :wink:

“Manual” centering… ha. :wink: I’m all about that automation.