How are steps calibrated?

How are steps calibrated?

Please provide a bit more information about your setup and re-phrase your question.

1 Like

I want to cut a rectangle on wood Size 100mm * 100 mm but the output 200 mm * 150 mm What is the calibration step to get the size 100%
Unfortunately my English is weak

That’s fairly easy, though it depends on whether your controller uses “step size” or “steps per mm”. They’re used for the same thing, but the calculation is a little different.

80 steps per mm is 1/80mm per step.

If you tell the machine to make a cut that is 100mm across, but it comes out to 150mm, your ratio is 150/100, or 1.5.

You would divide your steps/mm by that number, or multiply your step length by that number, to get the correct answer.

So, if your machine used 80 steps/mm, you would divide by 1.5 to get 53.3333 steps per mm. If your machine used a step length of 0.0125mm, you would multiply that by 1.5 to get 0.01875mm per step.

1 Like

Your controller is not configured correctly - in one axis it is 2x the actual steps/mm, in the other axis it is 1.5x

What controller are you using and what did you do to configure it?

You typically don’t configure your controller using your Lightburn - you configure it and refine it when installing it, then you connect the correctly-configured machine to Lightburn.

1 Like

Thank you for the useful information :kissing_heart:

Hi there Im having some troubles calibrating my steps, Im very new to this, I have alot to learn.
Im using the 60 watt co2 ebay laser (red and black) with a freshly installed Rudia controller. A friend of mine who has the exact same machine sent me his machine specs from RD works to enter but we must have slightly different gearing. When I do my 100mm test cuts my Y axis measures up at 96 mm and my X axis measures up to 102 mm

So basically I need some advice on how do I work out my steps per mm so I can apply the above instructions to get 100% accuracy

My post above (here: How are steps calibrated?) walks you through it. You just take the numbers you have and multiply by the ratio of what you asked for vs what you got.